Tuesday, April 27, 2010

CTG Week 1

We started CTG after a three week break between history cycle years. Since we finished ECC earlier than I had planned (we didn't take as many breaks as I had expected), I felt we needed a little break and then we should keep moving forward. We will take a break, as usual, for all of June.

Squirt's memory verse for week 1-2 was 2 Timothy 3:16-17. She flew through memorizing it, thanks to a CD that we have by the Harrow family called Sing The Word- God Our Provider CD.




I got it at our homeschool association's used booksale last year. But you can also find it at Rainbow Resource. Wonderful music by excellent professional musicians and with beautiful children's voices singing. All of it is simply scripture set to music. The CD has two sections. One with complete voices and instrumentals. And the other half  is just the instrumentals. You can use this like a split track CD for performances at church or for simply practicing and checking for memorization. I intend to get more of their CDs in the future.

We did not do the Sabbath celebration yet. I hope to do that for week 2.



I did find an MP3 download of Haydn's The Creation at Amazon. (I had been wanting to buy it anyway.)

So this gave me just what I needed for us to do music for our Creation week. Squirt and Buddy really enjoyed listening to the opening chorus where God creates light. You can listen to excerpts here or buy the MP3 yourself. Robert Shaw directing Haydn's The Creation This version is in English rather than German which is much easier for the kids to follow. I did have my complete score from when I sang this with Robert Shaw back in College, so we looked at that as we listened too. There are plenty of  youtube videos of excerpts also.

No comments:

Post a Comment